WELCOME TO ETL!
How does it work? Becoming a member saves you time and space whether you’re a master gardener, novice DIYer, expert tradesperson or simply looking to make a difference in your local community. It also means you can check out shared tools to use when you need them, rather than buying your own.
You can choose from – Standard membership, Pay-it-forward membership (paying for you and someone on a concession rate), and Concession membership
How much is membership?
For regular membership, the suggested donation is £30 for standard membership and £10 for concession membership. We also ask everyone for a piece of ID and proof of address when they join. We don't want finance to be a barrier to anyone joining, so if you feel £10 is more than you can afford, THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T BE A MEMBER. Just get in touch with us and we will sort something out for you. We are not a faceless corporation, we are friendly volunteers, and we will always try to help. Easy sharing membership is free.
1. BECOME A MEMBER
It's easy. Just follow these steps:
- Create your borrowing account here
- Download, print*, read, fill in, sign and date our membership form here
- Choose the membership type you want and bring along your payment, the completed form* and suitable ID** to your nearest borrowing or workshop session.
* If you don't have access to a printer don't worry! We have blank forms available at all our borrowing and workshop sessions.
** We must see the 2 following items for your membership to become active:
- Photo ID - such as a driving licence, passport, bus pass or student card
- Official Letter - A bank statement, HMRC letter, job centre letter, or utility bill - Dated within the last 6 months and with your current address.
Log in by clicking at the top of this page or click here. Make sure and check which one of our locations the tools are in (Leith or Portobello) and select the date & time you want to pick up. The Tool Library doesn't have the capacity to move tools between Leith or Portobello. Our borrowing sessions are shown on this page.
- We prepare the reserved tools in advance so we will only consider reservations submitted at 13:00 on the day before pick up.
- Sometimes you might struggle choosing tools - no worries! You can come and have a look at what we have and get some advice on Wednesday evenings in Leith and Thursday evenings in Portobello.
Visit the borrowing session you've selected for pick up. Your items will be ready and waiting for you! Always be sure to check opening times first.
After you’ve used the items, simply return it, clean, on time, and ready for the next borrower. You must always return items to the location you collected them, and only during borrowing sessions.
MEMBERS CAN USE OUR WORKSHOPS FOR FREE
- Our Tooligans can help you with your projects, give advice or just point you in the direction of what you need. And it’s all free, available as part of your membership.
- For the bigger tools found in the workshop, and regardless of previous experience, we take people through a safety and ‘how to use’ exercise. Your safety is always our number one priority. Book in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can drop-in to any of our open workshop sessions. Always be sure to check opening times first.
- There’s room for 8 people in both workshops, and all benches are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. You cannot borrow tools from the workshops (many are secured to the floor!) – for smaller tools try the borrowing sessions instead.
YOU CAN RENEW ONLINE
You can purchase/renew your year-long membership online. Log in and click on "Account" in the drop down menu when you look at your profile and then on "Membership".
Any questions? Contact us at email@example.com.